Population falls into several strata:
- Peasants (affect the food production speed)
- Craftsmen (production speed of manufactured goods and goods for army)
- Military men (these participate in battles)
- Merchants (determine the number of selling/buying deals)
- Spies (needed to spy on the enemy army)
- Diversionists (needed to sabotage the enemy army)
Population growth and decrease depend on tribute levels and the amount of food of each kind. Low taxes and providing the population with enough food (products) lead to population growth.
If the population of your country does not grow fast enough or you do not have enough population, you can purchase more using the Hire tab on the Population screen.